We are happy to answer your questions on the phone or by email. However, below are a few common Questions & Answers that may help.
New to pottery painting? Here’s how it all works:
Florence & Milly supplies everything that you the “artist” needs:
1. Choose your item
- Great selection of pre-fired pottery choices to choose from.
2. Decorate your item
- Lots of colour choices in our non-toxic glazes and finishes.
- All the brushes, sponges, stencils and supplies.
- We give every customer a thorough demonstration before they start decorating and guidance throughout if needed
3. Collect your item
- When the item is painted, we will apply a clear glaze on your masterpiece and re-fire it in our kiln onsite. The items can be collected from the shop in a week or posted at an additional expense.
+ - Do I need to book?
You can just drop in but if possible please book as it will guarantee you a table especially at the busy times.
+ - Are the paints safe for children and babies?
Yes all our paints are non toxic, child safe and water based under glazes, so they also wash out from clothes.
+ - Do you do the footprints on pottery for me, or do I have to do it?
We offer parent and baby sessions dedicated to this but there may be a wait if its busy. All other times we will be happy to help but if the studio is busy, it can be tricky for us to spend extra time helping individual customers with their pottery. It costs €5 for our help & commission painting.
+ - Is there a studio fee?
Not for pottery painting. If you want to work on your own creative artwork or materials it is €5 studio fee for 2 hrs.
+ - Can I leave my children with you?
Not unless they are booked in for Camps or classes. We love working with children and helping them get creative. We are Garda vetted and have completed child protection training.
+ - Do you do commission pieces?
Yes, if you have something in mind we can make it (it is best if you have a photo or picture of what you want painted to prevent confusion), or you can choose from our gallery show pieces. Prices for this varies as it depends largely on the details. You can email us with your query via our contact page.
+ - What happens if it goes wrong in the kiln?
Unfortunately the failure rate in this handmade process is about 3%, so if your pottery has not come out as well as we had hoped please accept our apologies. We would like for you to re-paint your item free of charge on another visit to the Studio.
+ - I don't think I'm very artistic, what can i do?
When the studios are busy, it can be tricky for us to spend extra time helping individual customers with their pottery.We have stamps, stencils, tools for pattern building and we can also show you how to do some fun stuff like bubbling and sponging. There are loads of painted pieces as examples around the studio to help provide some inspirations.
+ - My Pottery has come out with different colours?
Due to the nature of your hand painted, hand-dipped pottery means there may be slight colour variations on each item.
+ - Will my item be dishwasher, microwave and oven safe?
Handmade pottery items are food safe once glazed and fired by us, however we cannot recommend they are used in the oven/microwave/dishwasher due to the delicate nature of the pottery.
Some of our customers have frequently used their items in ovens, dishwashers and microwaves. If you make the decision to use your item in a domestic appliance, then we recommend that extra care is taken.
Here are some things to remember:
- As our pottery is porous and will retain moisture, it is important to note that the pottery can get extremely hot and will stay hotter for longer.
- Please allow the pottery item to gradually heat up (so don’t place cool pottery into a hot oven)/cool down slowly and don’t place cold pottery in very hot water as they may crack.
- Continual use of Oven/microwave/dishwasher may weaken the pottery and cause chips and cracks over time so if its a precious piece take care.